History

Egle.jpg Joseph von Egle
History_19Jahrhundert.jpg Historical Egle-Building
HFT auf Facebook      HFT auf Twitter   HFT auf Youtube   HFT und Snapchat

From the Winter School to the Higher School of Construction

1832 Founding of the Winter School for Building Craftsmen
The concept of the school was to enable craftsmen to carry out their trades in summer and further their education in winter, when construction had to be stopped. Until 1840 the Winter School was combined with the Sunday Trade School and located in the Kavalliersbau (the former stables) in the lower Königstrasse.
1845 Renamed the Winter School of Construction
The institution was run independently with a student body of 107 – at that time called „participants“. It moved to a wing of the „Legions Barracks“ on the Marienstrasse. Student numbers increased to 251 in 1858 and was already more than 500 in 1862. Joseph von Egle (1818 – 1899) became Director of the Winter School of Construction in 1848. As both an independent and court architect he received many honours and numerous awards and was granted an aristocratic title.
1865 Decree for the Royal School of Construction
As a result of rising student numbers and to make more effective use of the academic staff, teaching took place in five half year courses in both a summer and winter semester. At the same time a surveying school was established. The school received from the king the right to nominate teachers as „Professors“.
1869 Renamed the Royal Württemberg School of Construction
A Mechanical Engineering department was established but was moved in 1912 to Esslingen where it became the basis of the present Esslingen University of Applied Sciences.
1873 Completion of the historic Egle Building
The historic Egle building (known today as Building 1) was built adjacent to the city gardens by Joseph von Egle between 1867 and 1873. Shortly after completion it was already too small.
1900 Expansion
After student numbers had grown to 800, Karl Walter (1834 – 1906) Egle's successor, extended the building by adding wings in a similar neo-renaissance style to the main building. The formal unity was maintained.
1906 Curriculum reforms
The famous architect Professor Paul Schmohl (1870 – 1946) presided over the school until 1935 and undertook from 1906 a reorientation of the curriculum. Before matriculation a practical period of work had to be carried out and before the final state exams a two year internship completed.
1918 Largest Construction School in Germany
With 923 students, the Royal Württemberg School for Construction was the largest construction school in Germany.